Thursday, September 9, 2010

College...?

So excitement was running through my body as I was filling out an application for ASU. I was excited because it was easier than I thought, and I was finally getting something done for my college life, and early too. I go to fill out the last page and pay the application fee (which I needed my Dad for) and that is when my excitement dissipated.
I told my dad the application fee, around $50 ( I think? ). He goes into his lecture mode, as usual of course. I usually don't mind, but it really irritated me this time, because my "dreams" or anticipations were no longer right there.
"Community college is so much cheaper, and has the same education and classes. It would get rid of your general education for cheaper and then you can transfer to ASU." While that is all true and completely understandable, it's not what I wanted. I know we are told that what you want isn't always what is right... But I always imagined as a little girl that I would grow up and go to college with my friends. I also toured 6 college campuses this last summer (including Chandler Gilbert Community College), and narrowed my choices to ASU and UVU. No where else interested me. These two places felt right. Community College didn't seem like a place where I would fit in let alone enjoy myself. It isn't a good argument for why to not go to community college, but I just don't want to go there. Im usually the one saying not to spend so much money if there is an easier and cheaper way, but this time Im doing exactly the opposite...
So as my dad and I go back and forth in this little argument I start thinking, well I guess I just wont apply there at all. UVU is my top choice anyways, and so Ill just apply there and go there. But my dad crushed that opportunity as well. We had it all figured out this summer for if I attended UVU. I would take first semester off and work (due to out of state prices) and then start up second semester and take a summer semester, where I dont have to pay out of state. That way I would only have to pay one semester out of state, and have some work experience in before college to get a little bit of cash on the side. Now he changed his mind and said, only because now he is set on going to community college, that that might not even be attainable. Wow. Talk about having no choice...
It looks like for college I will be attending where my dad wants rather than where I want. His argument is more logical than mine and more attainable than mine. Here I come community college.

1 comment:

  1. Alright, so I would say to apply to the two colleges anyways. If you can get your dad to let you. A lot could change by next summer, including what he thinks. And if you don't apply, you wont have any chance at scholarships. And if you are going for the financial argument: if you apply to say, ASU, and you get a scholarship (not that hard to do) your cost of attending will go down greatly. Say the tuition starts out at 7,500 a year, and you have about a 3,000 dollar scholarship. That's 4,500 the first year... Probably 5,000 the second year... and 5,500 the third year and 6,000 the forth year (which can be covered by loans/grants). But if you go to community college it will cost roughly 2,500 for those two year. But then when you enter ASU, there is little chance at any scholarship, so you will be paying the full price: 8,500 the third year, and 9,000 the forth. Grand totals: ASU: 21,000, MCC: 22,500. Not to mention that if you go straight to ASU, you can get more upper-divisions out of the way in your early years. The max you can transfer from a CC is 60 credits. If at ASU, it is possible to graduate early, depending on your major. Just something to consider. =)


    Love you bunches girlie!! I hope everything works out for you.

    ReplyDelete